Welcome to an authentically Japanese martial arts experience on the Sunshine Coast!
WHAT IS YOSHINKAN AIKIDO?
Aikido Yoshinkan has its roots in traditional Japanese martial arts dating back over 800 years. It is the official style practiced by the Tokyo Metropolitan and Riot Police in Japan. There are no tournaments and it is not classed as a sport. This style of Aikido is dynamic and very effective; it is a system of throwing, joint locks, strikes and pinning techniques.
WHY DO YOSHINKAN AIKIDO?
Training at the Sunshine Coast dojo…
- DEVELOPS COORDINATION, HEALTH & FITNESS
- INCREASES FLEXIBILITY AND REFLEXES
- DEVELOPS PERSONAL SAFETY/PRACTICAL SELF-DEFENCE
- INSTILS DISCIPLINE, RESPECT AND FOCUS
- FOSTERS COMMUNITY AND HARMONY
STREET-STYLE SELF DEFENSE SEMINAR
A special extended class will be held on May 11th. The annual class will deal with abbreviated, street-style Yoshinkan Aikido techniques and approaches to self defense.
Register your place in the class with Sensei as there are limited numbers for this class.
Grading training will commence again on the 16 March and run until the 30 March. Shinsa will be conducted on that Saturday 30 March. This will be a Sogo Shinsa where regular Kyu and step gradings may take place along with significant dan/kyu grades.
Don’t forget to register with Sensei no later than the Thursday before the grading.
DONT FORGET TO CHECK THE CALENDAR FOR THE DOJO HOLIDAY DATE.
AikiKids grading will be on 6 April. The grading will be at the usual class time in that Saturday.
REGISTER NOW for the AikiKids class in 2019 – running in school term time. Hurry, places are running out – class almost full.
TERM 1 2019 AIKIKIDS class is now full. Please contact the dojo to be placed on the waiting list for TERM 2 2019.
Contact the dojo for more information and to register your place.
SUNSHINE COAST DOJO ANNUAL DEMONSTRATION
The 5th Annual Demonstration is on Saturday the 21st September at the Caloundra Dojo. Doors will open at 2:00pm for a 2:30pm start.
Tickets are available at the door. Come along and see the magic of Aikido Yoshinkan and how far the Dojo’s students have progressed!
BRISBANE DOJO ANNUAL DEMONSTRATION
The 24th Annual Demonstration is on Sunday the 4th August in Brisbane. For more details, see the information on the Brisbane Yoshinkan Aikido Dojo website.
The following is a brief explanation of the types of classes offered at the Sunshine Coast Dojo and the requirements for participation in them:
- Kidsclasses are open to children from 5 years old to 12/13 (depending on capability and body condition). Students at the age of 13 will participate in a transition phase from the kids class to the adults class over time.
- General Aikido Classes are open to all levels from the very beginner to the black belt. Classes always focus on basic fundamental techniques in a heavily structured and modelled way and are accessible to students of all levels.
- Advanced Aikido Classes are open to those who have graded to an acceptable level of proficiency (approx. 5th Kyu depending on student) and those who display a good level of fitness. Classes assume students have a solid grounding in Yoshinkan Aikido fundamentals and can explore more difficult techniques.
- Shintō Musō Ryū Classes are open to adult students who demonstrate the desire to deepen their training and life experience. Students in this traditional Japanese weapons class take on significant commitment through endless patience, sincerity and a willingness to learn things that are completely different from what they have done or learned in previous experiences. Furthermore, over time students in this class train with the expectation of developing a life based heavily on the Gojō – a value system with ‘benevolence’, ‘justice’, ‘etiquette’, ‘knowledge’ and ‘trust’ at its core.
ADULT CLASS TIMES:
MONDAY – General Aikido class: 6-7pm; Shinto Muso Ryu class: 7:15-8:15pm
WEDNESDAY – General Aikido class: 6-7pm
THURSDAY – General Aikido class: 6-7pm; Advanced Aikido class: 7:15-8pm
SATURDAY – General Aikido class 9:30-10:30am
KIDS CLASS TIMES:
THURSDAY – AikiKids class: 4:30-5:15pm
SATURDAY – AikiKids class: 8:30-9:15am
2/4 Lynne Street, Caloundra. Queensland.